Friday, December 11, 2009

Those darn hookworms again

And yet again, I went to check on my dear pepper plants, red bell pepper and habenero peppers only to find that two enormous hookworms had eaten every leaf available and half of any fruit hanging!! The amount they had eaten tells you how long it had been since I had checked on the plants- it was a very busy month. Oh well.
They were huge! I should have taken photos! I pulled them off and threw them in the lake to be a very happy snack for a nice fish.
The point of writing about this incident is the plants survived. I kept them watered. God helped with some occasional rains due to the cold fronts coming across the rest of the country. And leaves are coming back and there is the beginning of a flower. So to those of you struggling, I hope this is encouraging. Just keep at it.
I was so inspired that I've planted for the winter. Trying peas again, more tomatoes of course, spinach, iceberg lettuce, and spearmint. The pineapples are growing along nicely and the new key lime tree is happy as well.
Any fun winter gardening stories from you?

No comments:

Post a Comment