Saturday, May 8, 2010

Tropical South Florida Planting Calendar

This may be incomplete, but at least a start, at gathering planting calendar information. When we first moved to Florida, I went to get some tomato seedlings and was told I was too late. I was shocked. It was still warm and beautiful. I gave up too easily. Likewise, the garden centers are full of seeds at this time of the year but in our climate, it is too late for many of them.  Either it is already too hot, it will be too rainy or some other reason I haven't figured out yet.
Please add your experience and advise and let's create a calendar that you be a good guide for Miami gardening. I haven't planted much in the fall, so please add your experience.

Dec-February   Tomato, Basil, Spinach/Lettuce, Pineapple, Broccoli,
Mar-April    Tomato, Herbs, Beans, Strawberries, Cucumbers, Spinach/Lettuce,
May-June  Beans, Strawberries, Cucumbers, Spinach/Lettuce,
Year around  Pepper, Potato,

Found this fellow Miami gardening blogger with an article they wrote about their summer plantings.
http://www.urbanoasisproject.org/gardening-in-south-florida/tropical-summer-veggie-growing

5 comments:

  1. May- August- (hardest season for S. Fl)
    Eggplants! thought they are in the solenacae family (like tomatoes) they love the heat-- currently doing great, can plant in March for best effect (perennial if you cut back in December)
    Black eyed peas-- love the summer heat
    Yardlong beans-- excellent summer performers
    Sweet potatoes-- ditto on summer- plant alone or around bananas
    Manioc/Cassava-- #3 startch in the world-- loves the heat-
    Okra- ditto on summer crop-- spectacular for summer


    Mission on Dec- Feb-- broccoli rabe, arugula, radishes

    Flavio (thefruitfulfield.org)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Flavio! So many varieties I forgot to mention. Mostly because they aren't my personal favorites.
    Like the eggplants, my bell peppers did well as perennials- as well with a little pruning. Going strong.
    Have you grown garlic? They are my current object of planning. advice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm experimenting with peanuts this summer. Just soaked some raw peanuts (from Publix) overnight then planted. I am also trying many more peppers, trying to find the ones I have the best luck with. So far, Serrano are doing the best. The arugula just bolted and blossomed, so that ones done. I have also planted sunflowers in years past, with lots of success. It is really nice to look out in the back yard and see the blossoms, when the "Veggie" garden is toasted,

    Nice list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found a webpage that was mildly helpful.
    http://vegetablegardens.suite101.com/article.cfm/vegetable_gardening_in_florida

    Anyone planting celery this summer in Miami?
    I'm about to try it.

    ReplyDelete