Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Who knew Coconuts were so Versatile? the Samoans

From the National Park of American Samoa, our tropical cousins...

June 1, 2010        by Pacific Island Ranger
A coil of sennit, hand-woven from coconut husk fibers at the National Park of American Samoa. The coconut is the most useful of all plants in American Samoa.  The tree provides a wide range of useful products, and nearly all its parts except its roots are used.
Meat of the green nut is eaten raw or grated and used as a basic ingredient in a number of dishes. Grated coconut, when compressed..... Read the post
http://pacificislandparks.com/2010/06/01/its-just-a-coconut-right/

1 comment:

  1. I have 3 very productive "Panama Talls" with delicious nuts. I would love to figure out more items to make. I have been trying to sprout as many as possible because I think they may be lethal yellow resistance (knock on wood). I also use the old nuts as mulch, by quartering them with an axe. It can be a bit messy, though. The mulch last for a long time. Saw this in Costa Rica. I have been saving the "matting" for orchids. I have also just figure out that I can shred some of the coir in the chipper for orchid/staghorn material. I have no idea how they make the cordage though. Lots of time on their hands.

    ReplyDelete