Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Tomato Gardening Tip

In the best case scenario, each blossom will produce a fruit. Maybe not the first couple of blossoms but the second or third bunch should. Mine aren't "setting fruit" so well. So I went researching.
Tomatoes are self-pollenating. Having a pot of tomatoes on your porch up against a wall may mean they won't get enough breeze to blow the pollen around. According to one of the gardening gotta have books, Square Foot Gardening, you can gently shake the plant. The author says it's best to do this at mid-day or early afternoon. I'll keep you posted on my results.

1 comment:

  1. It works.
    I've actually been doing two things. 1 I've been gently shaking the plants when blossoms are open. 2 I've been tickling inside the blossoms with a feather, upon the advice of my uncle. (My uncle has an amazing garden in the mountains of Colorado. My cousin has been photographing it in it's different seasons and making greeting cards to help support my uncle and aunt. They are wonderful people. The link is on the right side of the blog.)
    Anyway- back to tomato blossoms. It's working. both methods are getting the vine to set more fruit already!

    ReplyDelete