Friday, January 15, 2010

More New Potatoes- from Compost

It happened again this year. I don't know if I ever posted my potato story. Last year I found a nice looking plant in the beds where I bury the various table scraps. I left it going. A couple more popped up in other beds and I left them as well.
One day as I was burying more compost near by, I found what I thought to be a red rubber ball. It wasn't a ball, it was a new potato! I had no idea that new potatoes would grow in Miami. I assumed it was a northern thing and that was that.
I didn't mean to repeat it (or I would have 'planted' in a better spot) but it happened again. The problem this year is that I didn't leave it growing long enough. The cute little taters aren't even the width of a quarter. Now I'm going to try to do it on purpose. I've picked a spot and tomorrow I'll clear it of the various weeds.  I'll keep you posted.
Anyone else successful in growing potatoes down here? types? start times? suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. I never tried the potato of the northern variety but sweet potatoes do great and are almost weedlike in their quick growth and easyness to grow. Since they are sup-tropical they actually like the warm S. Fl summers and provide great groundcover for plots that grow other things during the winter growing season. To grow just let a sweet potato sit in a somewhat dark corner until it sprouts vines, you cut the vines and plant them straight into the ground, water well for first week and voila! On our project we planted sweet potatoes together with banana trees, makes for colorful vines under the trees and an occasional crop. I will post a picture soon on parkwayteddergarden.worpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget that potatoes are grown in the Redland, but I think it's marl there instead of the usual limestone half an inch below the surface.

    Be careful about growing sweet potatoes because they can take over. I've grown them where they can't escape except by burrowing through concrete!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the advice. The more we share the better all of our gardens grow.
    I don't personally like sweet potatoes so I wasn't going to try them. I'm trying both the regular ole russet type and the small round new potatoes. Both are starting from store bought (organic) so I don't know the exact varietal name.
    Publix sometimes carries small bags of "Florida Potatoes." Not a strong marketing effort for them but tasting and local none the less!

    ReplyDelete