Monday, November 15, 2010

Things are coming along in the new raised garden


The garden took off after the weather started to cool down. The cukes (to the right of Jonas) and lettuce (to the right of the marigolds in the foreground) are particularly happy. The tomatoes are a bit slow this year and peas got a bit of blight which I was fortunately able to treat before too much damage was done. I've also been very happy with the marigolds...as I haven't had to deal with a single bug issue so far.

At this point the garden is really low maintenance. I go out to pull the random weed a couple times each day and turn on the drip irrigation for about 10 minutes every other day. It's great therapy and gets me away from my desk and into the fresh air. It also gives me some opportunities to do a little "teaching" with the kids. I'm proud to say that they know how their food grows and that it doesn't come from a room in the back of a supermarket or a truck. It actually grows somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment