Friday, November 5, 2010

Vines of Stories Intertwine

It is so much easier to write about plants. I know less about plants than I do about people.  We’ve been in Miami for nearly 15 years. We packed up the essentials into our “Old Man” Van and moved from comfortable, friendly, cute and Christian Nashville to Miami. I’ve been involved in urban cross-cultural nitty-gritty, super fun heart-wrenching ministry ever since.
In the beginning we moved 12 times in 9 years. We finally settled into out our current house (insert “Gift from GOD!”) I’m settled enough to have had a garden for 3 years and I love to talk about it. 
I like to go out to water at 10 pm after the kids are asleep. I like planting seeds in strange places to see if they’ll grow. I like starting pineapples from the tops of the store bought fruit. And I love talking about it all.
Maybe it’s because it’s easier to tell you of the trials of the fruit and the pruning of plants than the fruit or pruning in a life. I can’t even begin to tell you of the many wonderful people God has in our life.
Their stories are their stories except when we are tangled up. And of course we are because our lives are intertwined like my cucumbers that are growing through the bushes.
Whose story is it?  Is it the cucumbers sprawling ways? Or is it the bush with the strength to hold up the dear vine? I feel like both at different times.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing with us! I know you can say this about any hobby or pastime, but a garden really is a microcosm of our lives! The only difference is that when our favorite flower blooms, or a friend gives us a passalong plant, gardens can bring us out of a funk.

    ReplyDelete